This is a Per Diem, flexible hour position. We anticipate, at this time, a need for 2 days a week at minimum. Hours and schedule subject to change as clinic needs change.
The Medical Laboratory Scientist provides information for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease by conducting medical laboratory tests, procedures, and analyses on blood, body fluid and other specimen types in the areas of Hematology, Chemistry and Urinalysis. The position requires monitoring and interpretation of all quality control systems, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
Function/Duties of Position
- Follows all written procedures, policies and guidelines.
- Specimen handling, including collection, labeling and processing of specimens. May perform special procedures including assisting the provider on bone marrow collections.
- Resulting: Ensures all patient data, both internal and send out testing, is received and documented in the patient Electronic Medical Record (EMR). Recognizes Critical Value results and immediately responds by notifying the appropriate provider.
- Instrumentation: Calibrates and performs routine maintenance on analytic analyzers. Uses problem solving skills to troubleshoot when indicated by patient or quality control results. Instruments: Sysmex XN1000, Sysmex KX 21N, Ortho Clinical Diagnostics Vitros 350, Abbott Piccolo Express and Microscope.
- Computer Programs: Orchard Harvest LIS, iKnowMed EMR, EPIC, Word, Excel
- Quality Control: Performs all quality control (QC) and quality assurance (QA) tasks. This includes, but is not limited to: daily analyzer controls, instrument function checks, Proficiency Testing, documentation of QA issues involving both patients and/or instrument problems. Reports all QC and/or QA problems to the Laboratory Supervisor in a timely manner.
- Inventory/Supplies: Maintains adequate laboratory supplies by performing regular stock inventories and processing supply orders as needed. Maintains a clean environment within the laboratory.
- Completes competency training and annual review of policies and procedure manuals in a timely manner. Complies with Safety policies/processes and HIPAA regulations.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, site meetings, and training sessions. Maintains and documents personal continuing education. Keeps abreast of work unit issues and activities.
- Assists with miscellaneous technical administrative functions to support daily laboratory activities. When delegated, performs training of new employees and mentors less experienced employees.
- Observes and reports changes in patient’s condition.
- Multitasks effectively, accesses appropriate staff resources when needed. Willingly cross trains and/or participates in projects.
- Carries out job responsibilities ethically, professionally and with personal integrity; functions as a part of the team by exhibiting excellent communications, teamwork and customer service skills.
- Demonstrates positive, respectful and honest verbal, written and listening skills in all interactions. Willingly gives and accepts honest, constructive criticism, and communicates effectively with all our customers (patients, coworkers, providers, and caregivers, etc.).
- Follows infection control policies, maintains knowledge of personal safety, patient safety, fire and electrical safety and disaster plan.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science or Medical Laboratory Science which includes a clinical lab externship, and current certification as MT (ASCP), or MLS (ASCP) within 90 days of hire. Current certification and credential maintenance must be maintained for individuals who were certified after January 1, 2004
Completion of a 2-year accredited Medical Laboratory Technician program, plus MLT (ASCP) or equivalent certification within 90 days of hire, and 4 years of experience in a clinical laboratory. Certification as MT (ASCP) or MLS (ASCP) or by AMT preferred. Current certification and credential maintenance must be maintained for individuals who were certified after January 1, 2004
Bachelor’s degree in a Chemical or Biological field, and four years’ experience as a Medical Laboratory Technician in a clinical laboratory performing testing and related tasks
- 1 recent year of clinical experience
- Past Oncology Experience, with working knowledge of oncology medical terminology and procedures
- 2 Years or more of hematology experience
- Orchard Harvest Laboratory Information System experience
This is a Per Diem flexible hour position. We anticipate, no less than 2 a week position. Hours and schedule are subject to change as our needs change. If you are an experienced tech looking for a flexible schedule, this could be the job for you!
OOS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: Up to $29.00 per hour